Sunday, July 22, 2007

Filmmaking

Films are dominating my consciousness right now. Before my oh-so-profound revelation with the story of A Little Princess, I had spent my entire ride home from Columbia two days prior gushing with a friend about the desires we share in making documentaries. Then, when I got home I spotted the Get Out publication on the counter. A few seconds of flipping through it revealed that as part of a showcase of local filmmakers, there would be free seminars with various successful filmmakers tackling just about every issue of the biz. My afore-mentioned friend and I took advantage of the opportunity and went. Heard some great things. One filmmaker I particularly related to. Aj Schnack is a Mizzou broadcast journalism alum just like me. And just like me, by the time he graduated, he knew he didn't want to do the local tv... just like me. So he bounced around trying to figure out where he fit in the media medium... just like I am now. Unlike me, he now has a largely-acclaimed docu out "Kurt Cobain: About a Boy." I spoke with Aj briefly after his seminar. He invited my friend and I to go out for some drinks with him and the rest of the filmmakers if we planned on being around after the showing of his film tomorrow night (technically it's tomorrow right now). Needless to say, I'm not passing this up... even though I have to be at the airport at 7:30 in the a.m. for the real tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some last minute tips before I go shoot in Mexico. So many exciting things going on!

No comments: