Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hauling Out

As I headed north, I seemed to catch up to the rainy, gray weather that I thought had disappeared. My symptoms also seemed to re-emerge in the 12-hour bus journey. When I finally reached Hanoi, I discovered it was also frightfully colder. A tropical storm from the south carried a nippy chill with it as it moved over northern Vietnam. I had wanted to stay in Hanoi and schedule tours to visit the renowned Halong Bay and the lesser traveled, but still mapped out landscapes of Ninh Binh near by. Halong Bay has the same stunning limestone crags jutting up into the heavens as those outside Dong Hoi, except these jutted from the sea instead of from rice paddies dotting a winding river. I think Ninh Binh is pretty similar to what I saw outside Dong Hoi, but without the massive cave system. Soooo… I opted out. Both were similar to what I had already seen, but were MUCH more touristy.

I didn’t have the proper clothing for the nippy weather. I had spent nearly a month in Vietnam. I had experienced unforgettable magic a number of times. So, I decided to book a bus to warmer temps in neighboring Laos. The bus was departing the evening of the same day that I had arrived. I would spend no more than ten hours in Hanoi.

What I hadn’t realized is that even though there is a border crossing parallel to Hanoi, it’s not used because it’s difficult for the buses to cross the mountainous terrain. Instead, the buses go back down to near where I had just come from in order to cross the border. I had bused up to Hanoi for no reason! Well, I got to see the Kiwis that I was traveling with in Mui Ne. One of them was starting his trek back to New Zealand by plane the next day too, so it was good to give him a proper farewell.

Just for good measure, I had to be misled one last time by the Vietnamese. I was charged for a two-month visa for Laos. Granted, that’s what I got, but I only wanted a one-month visa and paid $20 extra for the extra month. I don’t know anyone else who has a two-month visa. I hadn’t heard that you could get a two-month visa very easily either. I was leery that it was fake. But, I made it to Laos okay, so I guess it’s authentic. Also, I was sold a bus ticket to Luang Prabang, Laos for $10 more than the ticket to Vientiane, Laos. But, my ticket was only valid as far as Vientiane. It didn’t matter though. I had heard of worse horror stories with bus trips from Vietnam to Laos, where you were charged more at the border and your ticket didn’t even get you to Vientiane. I made it to Vientiane no problems. I was in Laos. I was happy.

No comments: